Over the span of seven seasons, the walking dead has been nothing but stunning. Every episode ties in so well with one another and there have been many shocking and rememberable moments. It was very hard to narrow down a list of quotes I thought were quintessential to the series, so here are my top 5 most important quotes from seasons 1-7.
1. Episode 106 ‘TS-19’ –“Here’s your chance, take it” -Dr. Edwin Jenner “I’m grateful” -Rick Grimes. “The day will come when you won’t be” -Jenner.
Way back in season 1, Rick and the group head to the CDC in Atlanta where they meet Dr. Jenner. Up until this point, the group wasn’t sure how widespread the outbreak was but Dr. Jenner informed them that it had encompassed the whole world. Since the CDC ran on fuel, it was only a matter of time before the fuel supply would run out. When it finally did run out, it would commence a building-wide self-destruct.
Dr. Jenner knew that he wanted to die in the explosion and he was also planning on keeping Rick and the group locked inside so they would die painlessly as well. Of course, Rick begged him to let them live. Before he unlocked to door Jenner told Rick that the day would come where he wouldn’t be grateful. Flash forward to the first episode of season 7 when that day finally came. Makes you wonder if Rick ever regrets the decision he made to live that day.
2. Episode 403 ‘Solation’ “You step outside you risk your life. You take a drink of water you risk your life. Nowadays you breathe and you risk your life. Every moment now, you don’t have a choice. The only thing you can choose is what you’re risking it for. Now I can make these people feel better and hang on a little bit longer. I can save lives, that’s reason enough to risk mine.” -Hershel Green
Hershel is one of the most beloved characters from the show. His wisdom, compassion no matter what someone’s story was and his selflessness have been greatly missed. When a sickness had broken out at the prison, of course, he wasn’t going to stand idly by while the people he loved suffered. He knew he had to help, His eldest daughter Maggie tried to stop her father from going into the quarantined ward. But she realized it was something he needed to do.
3. Episode 408- ‘Too far gone’ “Everyone is alive right now, everyone has made it this far. we’ve all done the worst kinds of things just stay alive. But we can all come back. We’re not too far gone. We get to come back, I know we all can change.” -Rick Grimes
Season 3 and 4 was the time we realized that the walkers weren’t the biggest threat anymore. The governor had made his mark and demanded Rick turn over the prison. Rick tried his best to persuade him otherwise but the governor ended up killing Hershel and causing a war between both sides. What made this quote even more heartbreaking was seeing Hershel smile, because we knew that Hershel would have said the same thing.
4. Episode 416 ‘A’ “They are going to feel pretty stupid when they find out” -Rick Grimes “Find out what?” -Abraham Ford. “They’re fucking with the wrong people” -Rick
The back half of seas 4 was exhausting for our group. They were scattered after the battle for the prison, some weren’t sure who had survived and they didn’t know where to go. Thankfully, or as we know now, unfortunately, they all saw signs for a place called Terminus, “those who arrive survive”. They all ended up making their way there. The people of Terminus were very bad people, they only were luring in people so they could have bodies to eat. They forced everyone in the group into a locked train car. The very end of the episode was very hopeful because Rick knew they can beat them together.
5. Episode 609 ‘No way out’ “When I knew we had this place again I had this feeling. It took me a while to remember what it was because I haven’t felt it since before I woke up in that hospital bed. I want to show you new world carl, I want to make it a reality for you.”
This episode had probably the most action of any other in the entire series. Carl ended up getting shot in the eye which sends Rick into a panic. He goes out in the hoards of walkers at Alexandria to take them all on by himself. Michonne and some others go out to help but weren’t sure if just them alone could beat the hundreds of walkers that surrounded. The people of Alexandria stepped up and went out to help. In that moment Rick knew that they could defeat the walkers together. Rick told Carl he wanted to show him the new world because he knew that there wasn’t anything that they couldn’t get through together.